Manager of Research
Title: Manager of Research
Reports to: Vice President, Strategy
Position Type: Full-time
Summary: The Manager of Research is responsible for conducting industry and economic research, participating in lead generation efforts, and supporting the management of data for Northern Kentucky Tri-ED and its economic development and entrepreneurship operations. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing data-driven support to Tri-ED’s goals of promoting the Northern Kentucky area as a desirable location for new and expanding businesses. This position will provide Tri-ED with robust data support, but will also find, create, improve, and maintain relationships with relevant partner organizations and service providers. Additionally, this position will maintain relevant day-to-day relationships with REDI Cincinnati, Kentucky United, Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development, partner organizations, local communities, and external firms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Effectively conduct primary research and present the results both internally and externally.
- Oversee and coordinate the collection, input, and presentation of all data to support the mission and strategic objectives of Tri-ED and its economic development and entrepreneurship operations.
- Expand access to and utilization of data sources.
- Conduct industry research focused on maintaining and developing Tri-Ed’s competitive advantages in its target industry clusters.
- Stay current on local, regional, national, and international economic, business, and government news and trends.
- Collaborate with Tri-ED’s marketing, business attraction, and business retention operations to determine how to best promote the region in an effort to achieve Tri-ED’s strategic goals.
- Conduct and present analyses regarding areas of interest to the Northern Kentucky region.
- Oversee the research department’s budget.
- Manage the Research Intern and provide training and coaching.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with staff across the organization to perform research aimed at generating leads for the sales team.
- Support the management of large datasets maintained by the organization, including running programs to extract, transform, and load data.
- Design and implement organizational processes that ensure Tri-ED maintains high standards of data quality and completeness and compliance with related requirements on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain up-to-date skills and knowledge in data collection methods (qualitative and quantitative), research design methodology, and statistical and econometric techniques.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Diplomatic, tactful, flexible, resourceful, dependable, well-organized, and professional.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and communication with members, leadership team, and co-workers.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people, embrace and engage diverse groups, and understand the importance of cultural competency in these interactions.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple complex tasks and balance and prioritize multiple requests with limited supervision.
- Current knowledge of data collection tools and methods (qualitative and quantitative), research design methodology, and statistical and econometric techniques.
- Deep understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, reporting etc.).
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies.
- Experience with research and data, including deriving meaningful insights from data and putting findings into practice.
- Ability to write professional and technical reports, involving combinations of maps, graphs, charts, tables, and text for diverse audiences.
- Ability to show a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, real estate, or a related field from an accredited college or university, or any combination of training and experience that meets the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- At least 3 years of directly applicable experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of Salesforce, JobsEQ, D&B Hoovers, Arc Map (GIS), and Total Impact (or comparable products) is a plus.
- Must have strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have excellent written communication, oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to locate sources of information within the region.
- Must be able to present data and information in a way that is understood by a diverse group of people.
- Must have strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills.
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, well-organized, results-oriented, and willing to learn new skills.
To apply for this job, send a cover letter and resume (including salary requirements) to Christine Russell at CMR@NorthernKentuckyUSA.com by December 13, 2019.
*Tri-ED provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Tri-ED complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Tri-ED expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Tri-ED’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.